The General Office of the China Food and Drug Administration recently issued “Opinions of the General Office of the China Food and Drug Administration on Seeking Public Comments on the Principles for Standardizing Names of Foods for Special Medical Purposes” (hereinafter is referred to as “the New Opinion”). It is mentioned in the New Opinion that the below description can no longer used in the name of the foods for special medical purposes.
- The words which show or indicate the food will prevent the public from sick, or have the relieving function or treatment: such as “hypoglycemic”, “keeping fit”;
- The words which show or indicate the function as good to the intelligence or immunity: such as “improvement of the intelligence”, “strengthening the immunity” and “probiotics”;
- The words which overstate or breach the scientific policies or have the absolute meaning: such as “full effects”, “special effects”, “gold”, “super”, “top”, “genius”;
- The words which is vulgar or superstitious: such as “the upper class”, and
- Any word will mislead the consumers through its similar pronunciation or word pattern.
- China government will definitely strengthen their administration on the food and drugs and takes out the similar policies.
- The relevant foreign invested companies should keep a close eye on the trend in this industry.
- The relevant foreign invested companies should start to take measures on the New Opinion.
If you have any questions, please send the email to me.
Ms. Jojo Hu
TEL: 0086-21-68868335 ext 324 / FAX: 0086-21-68868021